Tuesday, September 12, 2006

YEE HAW!

Okay. It's kicked in. I'm officially running on adrenaline now. I've been unable to sleep decently all week. (Our bed here is cheap and pitiful and every time one of moves the other wakes up, unless deeply ensleeped. My beloved Jason even offered to sleep on the couch a couple of nights ago, so that I could get a good night's sleep and start my frantic last few days well rested. It worked, thank goodness.)

But now, no matter what time of day, with or without blackout mask and/or earplugs, with or without a partner present, I can't sleep. My anxiety about this thesis means that as soon as I lie down, my brain starts cycling through all the things there are to worry about, which equals a considerable number of things at this uncertain juncture of school, jobs, travel plans , etc., not to mention the number of things to wonder about, which are infinite. The worst one, and it keeps happening, is I'll start thinking of people from my past to google while I'm taking precious time from writing to try and grab a quick nap. That is so lame when one has important agricultural livelihoods to figure out, not to mention a future-affecting degree to complete.

At the moment it all seems kind of fun. I've given in to it. I play loud music while writing, I drink coffee after 9pm, and (please, please, please don't tell the anti-globalisation food gods) I'm drinking Coke. (For those of you following the long version of my story, no, it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup here--they use actual sugar in the EU for some reason. And also, no, I don't buy Coke products in the normal run of things and yes, I know they buy public water sources from all over the globe, leaving women to walk miles and/or pay for water to meet basic needs.)

Anyway, it's all going fine. It will be turned in on Friday one way or another. And somehow, I will make sure that it is not more than a few hundred words over the 20,000 word limit.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Thanks! Glad to hear you still read! more to come soon.