Friday, May 19, 2006

A Bug's Life

Today I turned in my dissertation research proposal. I worked so hard on it and I'm kind of proud of it, even though it's just the proposal and it was geared to the professor who assigned it and so doesn't reflect much-needed logistical information i'll have to hammer out with my supervisor.

I spent the day in a suit (a not so fancy, velvety brown one) at a conference on sustainable public sector food procurement (school, hospital and prison meals) with representatives of lots of important organisations. I networked where I could, but that's surprisingly hard to do when they all have lots of information useful to me and I don't have much to offer them--they realize I'm a student and move on to someone who can do something for them! Their loss, I reckon. To be fair, most were not like that. But when the abrupt turn-away happens, it can really throw you! Mostly I learned lots by keeping quiet and listening.

Two essays and an exam to go!

Then I'm off to meet my darling husband (who will have spent the weekend in Berlin) and spend a glorious week of no required anything in Prague, Vienna and Budapest. Going to school in Europe was a mighty fine idea. I haven't had much time to research sight-seeing, but we are so going to see this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundertwasserhaus

And soon after that, my mom, dad and sister are coming to visit! Unfortunately, the rest of the family can't make it. But I'm really looking forward to showing the small version of my family around Cardiff, South Wales and London. I love the idea of being able to show them where we've spent this whole important year that almost no one from home (except Corey) will ever see.

No comments: