Monday, March 20, 2006

THE BACK FORTY

coldframes.jpg


Spring has finally sort of started, and boy o boy is life better in Cardiff when it's sunny and warm. I know the cold rain and snow isn't over, but the last couple of days have been beautiful. The garden's doing fine, daffodils are just about ready to bloom, and the birds are singing their little hearts out. They kind of sang all winter, really, but it's nicer when they do it now. That picture above is the cold frame set-up J. made for me, and it's growing rocket and lettuce all winter, along with the struggling little spinach bits that the slugs have been kind enough to leave. I put in some new spinach and lettuce last week, too. I've wanted to put in some peas behind the boxes, but then the daffodils and other bulbs came up and surprised me in exactly the spot I was going to put them, so I haven't. I guess it won't hurt to put them in together--presumably the flowers will be dying off by the time the peas are big enough to get in the way.

lettuce.jpg


Last week I brought in some lettuce to make room for the others to get full-sized, and I found the world's tiniest snail. I tried to take a picture of it, but you can't see it in the photo, it's so small. But I will tell you, it's tee-tiny antennae were about the cutest thing you've ever seen. I brought it in to show to Jason, but it wouldn't put its head out again. Actually, it didn't ever. Nor did it ever move. Then I dropped it and, obviously, it was way too little to find. So, oops, I guess. Not that I wouldn't have killed it in a beer trap as soon as it was old enough, but I was sad to have taken it's life at such a tender age.

Oh yeah, and for those sick souls among you who asked to see special Welsh slugs drinking themselves to death in my clever traps, here you go:

slugs.jpg

No comments: