Wednesday, February 01, 2006

And ... GO!

School's on again. And I'm excited again.

The social setting is remarkably different this time 'round. Whereas first classes last semester were silent and timid and awkward before and after class, now you can barely hear each other talk--it's like a crowded bar! We're all familiar faces, at least, and even if we never spoke before it's somehow easy now. And for those who've become friends, it's like we haven't seen each other in ages, even though it hasn't been long. It's loads more fun now.

My class options are pretty great this semester too. Here's what I think I'm taking (in order of enthusiasm I have for them):

Sustainability and the Agri-food System - consumption habits, social history and trends around food and family, health issues, school meals and kids' attitudes to food, loss of food and cooking skills in some societies, food travel and embodied energy and cost, local food movements, organic and other alternative production models, supply chain and food processing issues, and on and on and on.

Globalisation and the Local Labour Market--youth and other exclusion in slowing job markets and the long-term consequences of that, the position of education, training and credentials in hiring, job security--how real is the problem and how does anxiety affect the labour market, etc., in addition to the obvious job relocation to other countries issues

Governance and Equity in Europe--descusses regionalism and devolution of decisionmaking, which while specific to the EU are interesting concepts and ones that are definitely in play in the food policy world. (Also other things. But I haven't been to this class yet.) AND it's taught by the illustrious back-from-sabbatical professor.

Environmental Law

Sustainability in Practice

Research Methods and Dissertation Design


The ones I think I'm not taking, but I plan to sit in on anyway, are:

Corporate Environmental Management
Environmental Management in Practice.

Tell me you're not jealous. I won't believe you, because I can't imagine not being, though I guess there are people with different interests and you, dear Reader, might be one of them.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Thanks for the article. I had heard general statements, but had missed the actual study.

I think you're probably right about food skills in the U.S. Britain has a huge problem with it--young mothers feeding their children curries and fish-n-chips daily because they can't cook and have gotten used to takeaway There is a very public campaign about it here, tied also to the healthy school meals campaigns.