Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I spent a fair number of those waiting for the apartment days out looking for organic and natural food shops. I found them, and they're cute as can be, tiny stores on side streets, with their grains and dried fruit and nuts and--my favorite--concentrated blackcurrant and elderflower cordials. Add sparkling water and it's a party. Elderflower cordial is my new favorite food. Organic produce can really only be bought by joining a box scheme, or local produce delivery like Pioneer Organics in Seattle. For now, I'm walking to the greengrocer down the street for fruit and vegetables. It's all marked by country of origin-- Spanish onions, English strawberries, Belgian whatever. All relatively local, when you think about it. I also found a Danish butcher who sells streaky bacon (otherwise known as "bacon") instead of that fried ham-like stuff they kept trying to pass off to me as bacon at the bed and breakfasts on our trip. (I eventually got it down to asking for scrambled eggs on toast, and then finally to just cereal, thanks.) I also found an Italian import store and a Mediterranean store. One of the little organic shops also sells vegetables grown by neighbors in their allotments (the equivalent of P-Patches, but much bigger) and cakes made by a lady down the street. Cool, huh? And I keep running into little things that make me happy. Today we discovered a taco place--I can't wait to try it. I've been craving a burrito for some reason. There's one place downtown that does Mexican food, but they charge £9.95 for a burrito and I just can’t support that kind of scam.

And now, in addition to streaky bacon, photos of other useful things to be bought at Cardiff Market, a covered arcade market similar to Pike Place, but with more randomness. Note the Student discount sign at the Barber Shop--all signs are in Welsh and English.


baconsmall.jpg

electricalspares.jpg

teacups.jpg

barbersmall.jpg

No comments: